Monday, April 12, 2010

U Joint challenge


Wobbly universal joints on the propshaft meant it was time to replace them. The nice new parts are assembled above.

I have never done this before, so some videos online were very useful
After extracting the "spiders" it is possible to see the wear - these should be smooth.

Using the money saved doing this myself, I picked up a couple of tools - a large vice and circlip extractor pliers.
The right tools made the job a lot easier. My only advice to anyone is to check out the videos linked to above, they say it all, very well. I stuffed up one of the U Joints when one of the needles fell into the cup when assembling the unit (It crumbled inside while pounding the cup in, rendering it useless - I had to pick up a replacement. Lucky they are only $17 AUD ( 8 UK Pounds) each.

No comments:

Post a Comment